Saturday, March 23, 2013

Synergy

Thanks to my friend Scott (Hygge Man) who put me up to this, here is my attempt at the Snapshot Prompt.  Here are the rules:
 
1) Use the photo and the 5 words provided in your story
2) Keep your word count 500 words or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday to link up your post.
4) Link up with your blog hostess (Nicole, Carrie, Tena or Leanne) when you’re done via the inLinkz linky below.
5) Have fun, don’t stress, let those creative juices flow.



Inangahua Junction bridge after the 1968 earthquake



And here are the five words -

Train

Tsunami

Tower

Snake

Carpet

 

Synergy

 

Sniff!  Sniff!

"Martha, is that you?  What's wrong?"

"Oh…Jim, I didn't think anyone would hear me.  I'm sorry."

"Well, I did hear you and it sounded like you were 'sniffing.'  That means you either have a cold or you've been crying.  I sincerely doubt you have a cold since concrete pillars have no noses.  Want to tell me what's wrong?"

"Oh, I just hate it when things get this way.  I mean, just look at me!  You can see my seams and everything."

"Martha, you look just fine to me.  You need to keep in mind that you're not a young 50-year old pillar anymore.  You and I have been around for much longer than that."

"I know, but we used to look as strong as we felt.  We used to stand tall, continually defying the river, the way it would snake around us, always trying to push us down.  We have stood in this river for countless years doing what we do, and now it's taking a toll on us…I mean on me.  Sniff!"

"Martha, you are still strong.  You hold up this bridge with the strength and beauty  equaled by none.  You provide safe passage for each train that crosses overhead.  Why, I'd even bet you could stand tall during the worst tsunami.  Don't let a little thing like a seam showing bring you down."

"I don't know, Jim.  Can't you see the lines on my face…the cracks in my once-lovely skin?  You've always been a tower of strength to me and to this bridge, but I can feel it.  I'm getting old.  It's not a pleasant thought, at least not to me."

"Hmm…at times like this, Martha, I always recollect what old Iron Hand used to say (Ahem!):

                If waters push and grind and pull,

                If the sun turns your beauty dull,

                If cracks and lines appear on thee,

                Worry not 'cause you're still beautiful to me.

"Oh, Jim, you're such a romantic.  Old Iron Hand never said such a thing, but I appreciate it.  Your poetry always makes me feel better.  What would I do without you?"

"Well, without me this bridge would probably fall and that would be the end of the story, now, wouldn't it?  All those trains carrying coal, grain, milk, carpet, lumber, and whatever else they can stack on those things, would get all wet because they'd fall smack into this river.  However, the two of us together can hold up this bridge for years and years.  Our combined strength is much more than double our individual might.  So, despite how you think you look, I think you're beautiful because you give me the strength to stand."

"Jim, I'm very glad you're here with me"

"So am I, Martha.  So am I."
Word Count: 460

4 comments:

  1. Quinn,
    Welcome to the Wednesday Blog Hop!
    Great piece. You had me giggling throughout. Very creative angle to have the pillars chatting with one another, and the metaphor for aging & lasting friendship is brilliant. Again, welcome, and I hope you return. Normally there's quite a number of us, but many are absent this week for some reason. Hmmm... Makes me wonder...
    ~Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I plan on doing this again. It was fun. And thanks for your kind critique.

      Delete
  2. Hi Quinn! Glad to have you aboard. I love your story! It is so sweet, and I never thought I'd say this, but I can relate to the cement pillar as a woman. Haha! The whole metaphor for life-long companionship and love is beautiful.

    Nicely done! I can't wait to read more of your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it. I will definitely be writing more.

      Delete